Pumpkin Curry Bisquette
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 scallions, chopped. You can either put the green bits aside and sprinkle on top of the soup, or sauté them with the white part.
- 1 clove garlic, minced. This is a case where more is not better. Use only 1 clove, not 2 or 17.
- Curry spice of your choice (at least 1 tbsp but probably more)
- 1 small can (398 mL / 14 ounces) pure pumpkin (don't use pumpkin pie filling!) You can cook and purée about 2 cups' worth of fresh pumpkin if you just happen to have a Jack O' Lantern lurking by the front door, but expect to spend at least another half hour putting this together.
- 2 cups light cream (10% half-and-half or 18% coffee cream will both work)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Over medium-high heat, melt butter in a pot. Add the scallions, the garlic and the curry spice and cook for a couple of minutes.
Dump in the pumpkin purée and combine well. Continue to stir until heated through.
Gradually stir in the cream until the texture is smooth and velvety. Add salt and pepper, and more curry if you think the soup needs it.
Bring just to a boil, stirring constantly, then remove from heat and serve immediately in small bowls.